Buy Wireless USB Presentation Remote Clicker Pen Now
My first cheap presentation remote was the one from another manufacturer that comes in the little zip-up pleather clamshell case, which is commonly sold here on Amazon as well, and it worked really well for a while. However, the esoteric 9V (or 12?) battery it uses is hard to find and costs around $2 each. I found that I was going through about one per semester, so I had determined to replace the remote with one that uses AAAs when the opportunity arose.It started getting flaky after the second semester and a few trade meeting presentations (so around 80 sessions of use, approximately). Sometimes a single press of the advance button would result in it "sticking" and zipping through to the last slide. Not good...
So, i bought this one due to its use of the AAA battery type and its nifty stowaway USB dongle. Some concerns I had were that it would be too much bigger and bulkier to be comfortable (it was hard to tell looking at the stock photos), and that it wouldn't work as well as the other remote.
My impressions:
I DO like the stowaway dongle feature. It's not so much the convenience of carrying it (although that's nice) as it is the built-in reminder to recover the dongle after use. The reduced weight and empty dongle bay are a great reminder.
The size is not awkward, although it's not quite as sleek as the other remote (which is itself not something the late Mr. Jobs would approve of). I am satisfied with the form factor, and can clip it in my shirt pocket like a pen, just like I could with the other remote.
The buttons do have to be pushed down more completely than the other remote (this was commented on by another reviewer). Unfortunately for me, this means that it's very hard to advance just one slide at a time. I tend to not mash the button hard enough, accustomed to the "normal" (IMO) tactile response of the first remote. When I do push it down completely, it tends to send multiple "advance" messages to the computer before I can release it, and the net result is that I always seem to be fumbling around during presentations, double checking that i didn't skip a slide. This is not a good endorsement for a presentation remote...
The biggest problem of all is that it is intermittent. Sometimes it will work every time I push down the button (albeit a bit spastically, as described above), but then it will go for minutes without working properly. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with distance or any factors I can control.
The LASER of this remote seems much brighter, and definitely holds up much longer. I considered getting another remote with two AAA batteries because of how quickly the first remote's LASER would fade out, but I have been happy with the endurance of this one. Besides, it's cheap and easy to keep an extra charged AAA around...
In summary, while the concept and design of this remote is better than the first one I had, the implementation or at least this particular specimen is faulty. If the remote control portion worked as well as my first remote did at the beginning, this would have been an easy 5-star product. I give it 3 stars because of the AAA battery, the better LASER performance, and the stow-away dongle, and because I have to assume (based on other reviews) that some of them work as intended. On the basis of my specimen alone, I'd have given it 2 stars, because it does work as a laser pointer and most of the time as a remote -just not one that makes a presentation smoother and more effortless.
Read Best Reviews of Wireless USB Presentation Remote Clicker Pen Here
This did exactly what I was hoping it would do. Great for Powerpoint presentations and I use them a lot.I worked as a training engineer for a large oilfield service company for many years and used a lot of expensive and different presentation remotes. After retiring, I continued to work as a consulting training engineer and needed a presentation remote. but had to buy it, which makes a difference. I decided to try this remote and am happy to say it works as well for Power Point presentations as the most expensive remotes I've used. One feature I really like is the fact that it uses a standard AAA battery which is usually available even out side the country.

0 comments:
Post a Comment